For summary offences, you are eligible for a record suspension five years after you have completed your sentence for your offence(s).

For indictable offences, you are eligible for a record suspension ten years after you have completed your sentence for your offence(s).

A sentence may be a fine, probation, a jail term, surcharge or restitution. For the purposes of a record suspension, a court order which prohibits you from driving or possessing a firearm, is not considered as part of the sentence.

Record suspensions are not issued automatically. To remove a criminal record, an application must be made under the Criminal Records Act (CRA) to the Parole Board of Canada (PBC). The person must have completed their sentence and shown that they are now law-abiding citizens. The Parole Board grants, denies or revokes record suspensions for convictions under federal acts or regulations of Canada.

The Canadian Human Rights Act forbids discrimination based on a suspended record conviction. This includes services a person needs or the opportunity to work for a federal agency. The CRA states that no employment application form within the federal public service may ask any question that would require an applicant to disclose a suspended record conviction.

You do not need a lawyer or a representative to apply for a record suspension.  The Parole Board of Canada gives the same consideration to a record suspension application submitted by an individual or by a representative.  Visit the Parole Board of Canada website.

Note: Companies that process record suspension applications cannot rush your application for an additional fee. Record suspension companies cannot expedite the record suspension process.  The Parole Board of Canada designed the process to be fair and equal.  No particular company can do it faster than any other.

Commissionaires Ottawa offers a simple and affordable Record Suspension Service for citizens who don’t have the time to apply for a record suspension or need help with the application process.  There are no hidden fees and all of our clients receive the same prompt and professional service.

Getting digital fingerprints at Commissionaires and applying for a record suspension to the Parole Board of Canada through Commissionaires offers all-in-one convenience and expert guidance at every step of the way.

Commissionaires Ottawa will compile the necessary personal information for your record suspension application. We will complete all necessary background checks to support your application.

This will include taking your fingerprints to obtain your Criminal Record, Court Information, local Police records, relevant Citizenship documents and Military Conduct Sheets if necessary. We will then complete all the required forms and present them to you for signature.

Once all the information is collected, we will submit your application to the Parole Board of Canada for a record suspension on your behalf. The Parole Board of Canada is empowered to grant, deny or revoke record suspensions. As your representative, we will receive and handle all communications from the Parole Board of Canada and other agencies.

Our proactive role and familiarity with the process will ensure that all the required documents are obtained in a timely manner and that your case is processed expeditiously. We will keep you informed at each stage of the process. All records will be returned to you once the record suspension process has been completed.

Commissionaires Ottawa Purge Service $35
Commissionaires Ottawa Record Suspension Service $549

*The fee includes the cost of digital fingerprinting and RCMP submission search fee, as well as a total of four court requests and local police checks.

$631 Parole Board of Canada submission fee

Police and court document costs will vary based on their location and the number of offences.

A minimum non-refundable deposit of $250 is required at the time of your initial appointment.  The balance of your account is due prior to submission of the application to the Parole Board of Canada on your behalf. Applicable taxes and shipping costs are extra.

To apply for a record suspension, you may drop in but appointments are strongly recommended. To make an appointment, please email us or visit our Contact page.

Learn more about record suspensions.